Friday, November 14, 2008

me is smart

best move i've made all week—bought an ipod dock. this will radically change my music listening habits at home. it pleases me. i am pleased. come over and lets listen. together!

wait, you need to know that i love music. i love it. L.O.V.E. i was in a bad mood the other day and happened to hear a song called 'is this love?' and i was transformed. like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly. a life without music would be as bad as a life without buttered toast with raspberry jam. or without chicken soup with knedlach and noodles, coffee ice cream with hot fudge. without garlic.

the pity of it in the very utterance!

that's no life at all. i seek here to express my excitement! joy! happiness! at music. do you understand!!? do you??!!

my sister is even a musician! that's how much i like music! one time she and i were talking about our favorite things. her favorite instrument is cello...and coindentally, that is the instrument she plays professionally! what glorious serendipity! (on facebook, if you are my friend, you can actually see pictures of her, instrument in hand!)

when we were young, my cellist sister (as opposed to the viola-playing one), my brother (violin), and i (piano) formed a trio! that was not so joyous, really, because i am not a very good musician and didn't practice much and the pressure was great indeed! i don't keep time well, sharps and flats really trip me up. my sight reading leaves much to be desired. vraiment.

during lessons, my piano teacher would take off her shoes, have a glass of wine and we'd talk about high school. the teacher's daughter was in my class and we are friends still and guess what...she's a professional cellist too!

lordy! the completed circles!

anyway, professional cellists are not the mainstay of what will be playing on my new ipod dock on account of most of the music i have on there is pop and not that many indie bands have cellists. once, i had to talk to yo yo ma on the phone and i told him about my professional cellist sister and he said, 'that's wonderful. tell her hello.' and i did! another time, i was visiting my cellist sister and we went over to the home of a professional cellist friend whose grandfather was a famous cellist/composer and she had her mother's autograph book from childhood. and it was filled with notes from the likes of grandpa's pals—pablo casals and rostropovich and other classical titans. i was wayyyy impressed. sometimes i am like that.

soon i will go get something to eat and when i go i will listen to some music and if my spirit flags between now and then, it will, then, be buoyed once more. i cannot wait!

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM EST, Blogger Unknown said...

your music enthusiasm in quite infectuous!!

 
At 2:19 PM EST, Blogger Mr Crosson said...

Wait, wait! You "had to talk to yo yo ma"? Was it because a confederate was stealing his cello and you were there to distract him?

That would be awesome!

Also: Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs is great pop with cellos. (Also, Nirvana Unplugged.)

 
At 2:43 PM EST, Blogger Sara said...

i did! i had to talk to him! (can you believe it?) it was for work. i also had to talk to, in a professional capacity, mary j blige (who offered me good luck on my book report), rza, steven spielberg, kim gordon...

yes, magnetic fields. i know them but didn't mention them b/c i knew a reader would. i did not know about nirvana unplugged. i will check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home