Friday, June 30, 2006

car talk

k. called me last night to see how i was doing. she and i are headed en espana later this year to eat some shrimp in garlic and oil and to see some sites and to drink some sangria and to swim in the sea. doing things that start with s are supreme.

and, we're hoping too for some ac-shun, as travelers do. anyway, k. said on the phone that she had 'car talk' for me.

'car talk' hails from the days when we were in school together and i had a car. a 1980 buick century with no radio, no heat, roof upholstery that had lost its ability to stay stuck to the roof and billowed on top of our heads. and the car's body was rusted and when i turned corners it screeched and another friend took to calling me starsky on that account and on account of i took corners too fast. and back in those days we would gossip in this car...like a confessional, really, except i'm not catholic and though k. is (right, k.?), i don't know how often she hits the church.

so anyways, k. calls and we're chatting and she has car talk. and i share some too. and it occurs to me that the blog format is the new car talk, since now i huff it or take the subway or, on rare occasion, a taxi. one time i took a taxi with a boy and we got busy in the backseat. (things that start with b are best). after my friend had departed the car and when we reached my destination, home, the cabbie hesitated and asked me to move into the front.

'um, no thanks' i said, fishing for my wallet. and he said:

'please miss, it is three years i have no sex.'

the doggone thing of it: he was pakistani, sept 11 had happened a couple of years before, and there was me in a revealing dress doing stuff in his car, him watching in the rearview. and then i refused him a similar favor. so i tipped him extra bucks cause that surely makes the hurt go away. no wonder, thought me, americans are not so well loved.

last night after k. called, i went to sleep. it was the first night i woke up a mere two times from illness (it is abating, praise allah), and i had a dream of ac-shun and someone kissing my toes. now, that would be swell.

1 Comments:

At 4:20 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey -- it's "k" and just wanted to say that, outside car talk, I haven't "officially" confessed since the 4th grade, when we were forced to do it at my Catholic grade school, plaid-skirted and pigtailed. Somehow I doubt the church meant for confession to be as much fun or as bawdy as car talk invariably is. I miss that car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home