Sunday, August 13, 2006

under the sea

my sister in law wrote a book part of which i read. it had a dedication that said something about how if you save one life, you save a universe. i thought of that today when i heard that the son of the writer david grossman was killed in lebanon. when i read his book, be my knife, i was devastated for a while. it was so intimate and claustrophobic and accurate, and i could not put it down. and though i have a bunch of his other books, i haven't gotten to them. i heard that news from an israeli friend who was in nyc and we were on our way out to coney island for a late day swim. we got there and went in and i was floating as i like to do, and that sensation of water all around, muting the sounds, nothing to look at but the sky makes everything seem so remote and okay. it's so appealing to put your head in the water.

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM EDT, Blogger Mr Crosson said...

Wow.

This is the first I heard about Grossman's son. Like you, I've only read one of his books, and like you, I loved it. The one I read was Zig Zag about a boy finding out about his mother and her side of the family, plus Cary Grant like thieves, kidnappings and grandfathers.

I've been meaning to read more Grossman; maybe this will give me the necessary kick in the pants.

 
At 10:47 AM EDT, Blogger Sara said...

you should, jc. he's really great.
slush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home